Friday, September 9, 2011

Finding Moments That Take Our Breath Away


Life, it’s a funny thing, isn’t it?  Whether you believe life comes from God or Mother Nature, it’s one of the greatest gifts we, as humans, receive.  It’s brief, but it’s amazing.  Yet, so many of us just let life happen to us.  What we should be doing is make life happen to us.  

Recently, I underwent some serious surgery that has forced me to take time off from work.  This surgery couldn’t have hit at a worse time.  I had just left a corporate 9-5 job to start my own business.  I knew it was going to be a hard transition, but I wanted the freedom to control my own success.  And then, boom!!  Out on the sidelines watching the world move on without me.

I’ve had a lot of time to think about things lately and I realized that for so long I have defined my life not by who I am, but what I do.  Whether it was corporate marketing, grant writing, real estate or being a wife to a wonderful man, I was defining me by what I did on a daily basis.  And, when I was prevented from fulfilling these roles to the full extent, I was lost.   

My life was controlling me when it should be the other way around.  So, where to begin?  How do I start making life happen to me, when for so long I have just let it happen to me?   This is going to call for some in-depth soul searching and I’m guessing I’m not the first person to which this has happened.

Maya Angelou once said “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”  Life is about finding passion.  It is in passion that we find ourselves, and it is finding that passion that this blog is about.

Please join me in this quest to find passion and those “moments that take our breath away.”  Perhaps we can find it together.

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment